Learning and Teaching strategies
The school emphasizes the importance of nurturing students' ability to learn. With more teacher-student and student-student interactions, students are encouraged to be Collaborative, Responsible, Inquisitive and Proactive (C.R.I.P.) learners. The quality of teaching is enhanced through systematic teacher development programs which enable teachers to review and reflect on their existing teaching practices and learn new ones. Collaboration among teachers is encouraged and peer observation among teachers is a common practice.
- Language Across the Curriculum: Subject teachers, besides teaching subject content, also focus on enhancing students' English Language competence in speaking and writing skills. There is collaboration across the curriculum to help align the teaching curriculum to cater for the language needs of students.
- Reading to Learn: In order to enhance students' reading skills, to enrich their knowledge and to keep them informed about local and international current issues, students are given opportunities to share their reading experience three times a week. We have conducted a Reading Across the Curriculum program where students are given opportunities to read extensively across different subjects. A Moodle system for extensive reading has also been set up. Moreover, readers’ gatherings, book sharing by students and book fairs are held regularly. Students also participate in the broadcasting program “Reading Flyer”. News about reading, promotions of library books and upcoming library events are mentioned during morning broadcasting sessions.
- Self-directed learning: The school has created a school based Self-Directed Learning (SDL) environment and teachers are encouraged to use the following eight strategies (I.T. in teaching, Flipped classroom, Pre-lesson tasks, Post-test analysis, Questioning and inquiring, Assessment in learning and visible learning (graphic organizers) in their teaching. Through peer learning circles, students are engaged in diverse learning and given more opportunities for challenging their academic capacities.
- Information technology for interactive learning: Also in order to shape a supportive learning environment for students to be 21st century learners, we have installed optic fibers and there is a full access to WiFi in every corner of the school campus to support learning and teaching. We have uploaded high quality and easy-to-use e-learning resources to online platforms to facilitate self-directed learning. Online platforms allow students to learn at their own pace and also enable students to deepen their learning and enhance their engagement in learning through sharing and collaboration which bring a wider perspective in problem solving.
- Cater for Learners’ Diversity: To cater for and address students’ diverse learning needs and abilities, we adopt strategies like questioning skills and scaffolding of learning and provide with them varied learning experiences and multiple avenues to achieve success and maximize their potential. We have provided enhancement courses for students who need more support in some subjects. Also, we have a spilt class arrangement for language learning. We also believe that by creating an inclusive environment, we can nurture and educate our students regardless of their differences in background.